The Post was named in memory of Sergeant Burton Woolery, as he was the first service man killed from Monroe County in service to his country on foreign soil. At this time The Post was located on South College Ave. and the first commander was Dr. F. M. Garner.
Sergeant Woolery was the first WW1 casualty from Monroe
County to be killed on foreign soil. He was killed instantly near a
small place, Esperance Ferme in France on July 29, 1918 in the
afternoon. All four guns were in position and he was the Sergeant in
charge of the 4th gun as he was yards away a shell whistled in and
killed him. He was buried just behind the gun position where his remains
stayed until 1921.
Burton Woolery was a well-known stone operator. He graduated from Bloomington High School and
enrolled at Indiana University in 1917, where he was a member of the Phi
Delta Theta fraternity. When WW1 broke out he was a freshman at Indiana
University and he enlisted in the service to his country. He served with
Battery F of 150th Field Artillery, 42nd Rainbow Division.
His remains were returned to the United States on July
15, 1921. The photo of the funeral of Burton Woolery was taken at the
corner of 7th and Walnut Streets. The interment was at Rose Hill
Cemetery. Dr. Frank Holland, The American Legion commander, presided at